PLANSWIFT
SUPPORT
Start a new topic

MySQL for Lists

I d/l the mysql connector for windows but it doesn't show up under connection string of lists.  Is there another method for this?

1 person has this question

Unbelievable how simple that was.  I guess it was that 32 bit installer issue that kept me from getting anywhere.

Really wished I would've asked 3 years ago now the possibilities seem endless...

- weekend fun now

Thanks Will

Yea, it took me about a full day to figure it out. PlanSwift support basically said they don't work with SQL so they don't know. The 32-bit issue stumped me for quite a bit until I got lucky and one of my google results pointed me in the right direction. I put together the guide in case anyone else ran into similar problems so I'm just glad I was able to help and I didn't put it together for nothing :)

Hope you had a great weekend! Good luck!

Did you post the guide? if so I would like to review. Thanks

Hey Wolf, I did. I don't know what happened to it. Good thing I have it saved on my comp. Here you go:

1. Configure and Initialize the MySQL Database, make sure it's running.
  2. Download the ODBC Driver (For MySQL located here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/)
  3. Since PlanSwift runs 32-bit, the 32-bit driver is required despite what your system uses - I made this mistake the first time 
  4. Run: c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to open Data Source Administrator
  5. Inline image 1
  6. Click Add and Select the MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver, click finish
  7. Fill out the Config info
  8. Inline image 2
  9. Name your Data Source ('MySQL-Connection' for example)
  10. Make sure TCP/IP Server is selected and enter your server information (localhost and 3306 are defaults)
  11. Enter username and Password (should have been created when configuring MySQL db
  12. Click Test and you should get a "Connection Successful"
  13. Go to PlanSwift and create a new list
  14. Select 'ADO Query List' and hit next
  15. Name your new list and click the '...' next to Connection String
  16. Select 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers'
  17. Inline image 4
  18. Select the dropdown next to 'Use data source name' and your new Connection should be listed. Select it.
  19. Enter Username and Password of your MySQL db once more
  20. Click Test Connection and you should receive a "Test Connection succeeded" message.
  21. Now you should be able to select your Table from the catalog list and click 'OK'
  22. Finally enter a SQL Statement to populate the list
  23. Example: 'SELECT * From [TableName]' to pull down entire table
  24. That's it. I verified if you update information in the List in PlanSwift it will indeed update your MySQL DB as well
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Will,

The image files did not load into the PlanSwift Forum. Can you email this to me?

wolffr@84lumber.com

I am currently using Access to make lists but the lists are limited to my PC. I really would like to share them with other users in my office.

Thanks

Login or Signup to post a comment